Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts

 
 
 
Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
 
 Yesterday at work we had a retirement party for someone in my office who had been there 29 years! I can't imagine what that must feel like to know it is your last day of work forever, what a great accomplishment. I'm so jealous!

We had a potluck and one of the ladies brought these Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts. I honestly have never heard of these until yesterday. Someone told me what they were and I couldn't imagine what to expect. They told me they were amazing and never last long so I better try one before they are gone. I took one bite and ohhhh was it good.

These are extra special little appetizers. They are so delicious. I had no idea such things were out there. They were the perfect appetizer and they were gone in a flash. I decided to make them today for my family and see what they thought. All my kids loved them and so did my husband. Gone in minutes. I dipped mine in Ranch Dressing. We all know how much I love bacon and ranch so this one is a keeper.

I now have a new appetizer to add to my arsenal. Really really good and they are so easy to make.

Ingredients

1 package of bacon
1 can of Water Chestnuts (I used sliced)
1 jar of Chili Sauce
1 cup of brown sugar
toothpicks

Directions

Update: This is a tip that someone posted which I think is a great idea.
Kay - "We have made these for years. One difference is that we partially cook the bacon and drain on towels before wrapping and add the sauce prior to baking. Bake until sauce is thickened. Precooking will cut down on the grease and the baking time."

Put your toothpicks in water to soak. Cut the package of bacon in half. Open and drain your water chestnuts. Mix together your jar of chili sauce and the brown sugar. Wrap the half cut piece of bacon around each chestnut. You will have small pieces of chestnuts so I used two. I used thick bacon but next time I will use regular not thick. Stick the toothpick in to hold it together. I seasoned just a little bit on the top with garlic salt and pepper. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Depending on your oven they may need to go longer. I like mine on the crispy side that is why I wont use the thick bacon next time. Put them on a paper towel after you take them out of the oven to get off grease. If they are crispy enough just cook them longer.  I served mine with ranch dressing and cilantro. It was heavenly.

 





 





 
 
Gone, but not forgotten....




 Thanks for stopping by!
Dori


24 comments :

  1. When do you put on chili sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After they are wrapped up then put the sauce on and then bake them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do this frequently at parties! We place brown sugar on the bacon before wrapping the water chestnut to get more flavor. These are a real crowd pleaser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness... such memories. My grandma used to make them and I specifically requested them for BOTH my high school open house and my wedding. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness... such memories. My grandma used to make them and I specifically requested them for BOTH my high school open house and my wedding. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your recipe via Pinterest. Thank so much! Can't wait to make these.☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe I didn't know about these before. Never in my life have I had or heard about these! I am glad I got to share them with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dori, you will love them.

      Dee

      Delete
    2. My cousins husband has made these for years every Christmas. They are awesome. BUT* Really, the recipes that tell you to soak the chestnuts in soy sauce of at least 5 hrs then wrap um put a nice honey bbq sauce over top and sprinkle dark brown sugar over them and do um under the broiler. Watch closely! Awesome. There are many dif ways to prepare them, this was the best one we could find.

      Delete
  8. I helped with the food at a wedding once, and we made dates stuffed with almonds, wrapped with bacon. They were then broiled to perfection. Yum! I had the job of stuffing an almond in each date. They were the first to be completely gone on the huge table of goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made these as an afterschool snack. My teens approved! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i just made these and accidently used mint toothpicks, and it gave it an extra little kick to it! VERY YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have made these for 20 years & always used whole water chestnuts, I guess cause that's the recipe I found, but I think they would be easier to make & eat as they would not slide around. But I love water chestnuts & also think that's why I like the whole ones too! These are awesome, we have a catering business & have made them numerous times for events & everyone loves them, no matter which ones you use!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i marinate them in soya sauce then wrap them in brown sugar coated bacon..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been making these for 30 years for parties and Christmas. Always a big hit and no leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A friend mentioned taking pineapple chunks, wrapping them in bacon with the same sauce. that sounds yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What kind of bacon did you use? Your bacon really looked good, I make bacon wrapped dates and my bacon never looks that good. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My recipe has 3/4 cup each of chili sauce, brown sugar, and miracle whip. We cook without the sauce first for 30 minutes and drain the fat, add the mixture and cook again for 30 minutes. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so going to try this. I have two cans of water chestnuts in the cabinet and no idea what to do with them. Another thing I thought about was how fantastic this exact recipe would be with brussels sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How spicy is it with the chili sauce? I have a lot of family with weak pallets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heinz chili sauce is not hot nor really spicy.

      Delete
    2. Heinz chili sauce is not hot nor really spicy.

      Delete
    3. Just my opinion. I don't care so much with the recipes calling for the chili sauce aren't as good. I personally like to soak them in soy sauce 5hrs, wrap bacon arund whole chectnuts stick in toothpick,brush over a nice sweet simple honey bbq sauce, sprinkle over dark brown sugar and put under broiler (on not quite low- lower side of medium and watch them closely til their nice and browned) they can burn quick. Have made them for yrs.

      Delete
  19. If you partially cook the bacon, do you still cook for 20 minutes? Thank you. I can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!