Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

The Riches to Rags by Dori Story and Thanksgiving Potatoes


Happy Thanksgiving!



Thanksgiving Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes



I decided to try something new this year. I have always boiled my potatoes but this year I ran across this recipe at Pin Cookies. I like the idea of just throwing them in the crock pot so I don't have to use the stove and I can start them in the morning. Very easy recipe.

Ingredients
5 lb bag of Gold Potatoes
1 Cup of Water 
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon of pepper
2 sticks of butter (1 cup) cut up
1 1/3 cup of milk   

Directions

Peel the potatoes and cut up into chunks. Pour in water and top with cut up butter, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. Don't remove the excess water. Pour in the warm milk and mix with a masher or electric beater. Leave them in the crock pot on warm until ready to serve. 



I had a follower ask me about my story and how the name Riches to Rags by Dori came about. Since it is Thanksgiving and I have so much to be grateful for I thought of no better time to tell my story.....

The *Riches to Rags by Dori* Story


I am almost tearful as I write this because this blog has meant so much to me and those of you who follow it and my Facebook page. The relationships and ongoing comments are priceless to me. I thank you so much for that.

Many years ago my husband and I and our three kids had it all. Really, everything was perfect. I had tried for 8 years to get pregnant and then adopted a beautiful baby girl named Kallie, I was told I would never have children. I got pregnant 10 months later and then gave birth to another beautiful baby girl named Brianna six weeks early. Seven months after that I gave birth to a handsome boy named Jed. My hands were full. We had a beautiful house, cars, etc.....living the good life and then the ugly Recession hit and everything changed.

When the recession hit we had to close our successful concrete flatwork company that we had for 8 years. My husband had to go find a job making 1/3 of what we were making before and the bills were piling up quickly. Right before Christmas the company laid my husband off like so many others and then the hard times really started. To make a very long story short, we lost our house, cars, everything (material) and this is how the name Riches to Rags was born along with lots of gray hair.

For 5 years we have struggled to pull ourselves back up. It took a year and a half for my husband to find a job. There were hundreds of people applying for one job. Finally, he got a job in Wyoming so we had to move. During this process I became very depressed and when I got my kids off to school I would sleep for hours. My smile, my laughter was gone. It is a dark place to be and unless you have experienced it you can't explain it.

My sister Jillee told me that I need to find something that I am passionate about to help me feel better. We were driving back from a Christmas party, I won't forget that day, it was December 11, 2011 that I decided to use my experience of what I have gone through and start a blog. I started to get excited about things again.

 
I can't believe it is almost one year ago that I started this.  I tried several things but it ended being a food blog because I LOVE FOOD! I am also passionate about Thrift Store shopping. I was able to put lots of time into it because the kids were in school until life hit again and my husband was injured at work. I have gone back to work full time to help out and I am happy to do it. My husband is a wonderful man as has always worked so hard for us so it is my turn to return the favor. We are still dealing with lifes challenges but having this blog makes it all just a little bit easier.

This blog has saved me. It pulled me out of a depression that I had never experienced. I was laughing and smiling again and have a wonderful new cyber family and have met so many wonderful people. I have so much to be grateful for right now. I always try to remember that it could be so much worse. What is important is this little family of ours and all the other things are exactly that, just things. I love my kids and grand kids with all my heart and I can't express to you enough of my gratitude. 



Finding a passion is the key! Find something you love to do and do it. Don't wait, don't think about it just start something and go from there. I chose today to do this post because it is so important to be grateful for what we have through the good times and the bad. It is hard sometimes, believe me I know. I found this wonderful quote from a blog post titled 75 Reminders for Tough Times and this is #75 and it says it all.

"Everyone wants a perfect ending.  But over the years I’ve learned that some of the best poems don’t rhyme, and many great stories don’t have a clear beginning, middle, or end.  Life is about not knowing, embracing change, and taking a moment and making the best of it without knowing what’s going to happen next."

THANK YOU
so much for the support you have given me. I value the new friendships and look forward to what lies ahead for Riches to Rags by Dori. I enjoy reading every single comment so please keep them coming. I love the conversations we have on facebook so please come and join us if you haven't already. What is your passion?


Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Thanks for stopping by!
 
Dori

33 comments :

  1. Dori...I posted a comment to your facebook page about your awesome attitude before I read this post. Your strength and resilience are inspiring. Good wishes and many blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, that was so nice of you to say. Thank you so much. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dori you're an inspiration. I love reading this blog and I'm so glad you started it... now more than ever after reading this. Hope you are having a wonderful thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving, knowing how to give thanks and having grace is a wonderful thing. You have both I can tell that from your heartfelt post. I wish your husband health and out difficult times comes goodness. I wish you goodness and hope the difficult days are behind you.

    I had many miscarriages, then three beautiful daughters, a horrible divorce, instant poverty, and single motherhood. What I did not lose was simple gratitude for my daughters, sunshine, and amazing friends and family. I love food too, and thrift stores are amazing.
    All good things to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo little sis! I'm so proud of you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new here - I just hopped over from Pinterest, but I can already tell that I will stay and see all the new things that you post. I love the honestly of your story and your spirit. We're all in this life thing together. Best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspiring story. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and your sister inspire me. Thank you for sharing your story! P.S. I am looking for a Christmassy breakfast-type casserole for a crowd. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog and you are very inspiring. Bless your heart for sharing your story and wonderful attitude to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. jumped over to your blog from Pinterest (I follow you there!) Love your inspirational story and I am very happy you found strength to (keep) pulling through all of the difficult things have hit your life in the last decade.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been following Jillee for months and learned alot from her. I'm so impressed that you are now doing your own blog. How wonderful that you both are being blessed by helping other people. May God bless you and your families!!!! If you don't have God to help us through the tough times....what do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dori!! I don't know how I missed this on Thanksgiving (ok, well......maybe it had a little bit to do with too much food and a few long naps but we're not keeping score, right?). Thank you for posting your story, it is an inspiring one and I so appreciate you sharing with me. I know, I'm a little nosy but I consider you a friend and I like to know a little bit about my friends. Have a blessed and wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just popped in to read about the crockpot mashed taters, and read your story. Very inspiring. Hubby and I struggled for years, then had some very, very good years, now we see a struggle coming on again, and your story has brought back my focus! Thank you! I'm joining up right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you everyone for your nice comments. It means so much and I hope that if you are going through hard times that we can do it together and not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi ...I found some of your recipes... and then I found your blog and stories...enjoyed both of them... times are hard for a lot of people...2012 has been a healing year for our family..2011 came with lots of hard days and weeks...but we made it..not fun and not easy...but I say... out of everything bad comes something good...we just have to look for it..I added you to facebook (hope it worked) ! not great at this ! cant wait to read more of your posts...Happy New Year ....my name is Dorrie also :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know God sent me to your page this very evening! You have a great story and I am happy b/c I have read it.
    Our family is in much the same boat with our construction business that we started 15 years ago. I have been very blessed to stay home(with sacrifices we happily made)but now is my time to get a job out of the home. I look forward to following you, Dori.
    a remke

    ReplyDelete
  17. Andrea and Dorrie thank you so much for your comments. I shared my story because I know there are so many others out there and we need a place to come for support. Join the facebook page where you will meet some wonderful people. Look forward to talking with you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found your blog because of the pinned Chicken Fried Rice on pinterest. Whenever I find a new blog, I ALWAYS want to know about the blogger and look for the About Me page. Wow. Isn't it amazing when you realize how much you have gone through once you look back? When it hits, you never think you can survive so much adversity but... you do and continue to do so and I believe it gives us so much wisdom and life to share. You are an amazing person! I am glad I now have a new blog to follow!

    I have been through so much up and down in my life- my daughter, my economic situation, divorce, having a child with disabilities (due to shaken baby syndrome), going back to school... just life. Trying to survive the best way I know how!
    http://booknerdextraordinaire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Dori, I to found you from Pinterest. Thank you for opening your heart to us. Your story does inspire me to continue to look for my passion. You will be my first blog to follow.May you and your family be blessed this Easter season.
    Nita H.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never done this as I am not computer smart, but I sure am blesses for learning about you on Pincrest. You are such an inspiration to me and it seems for so many. God you and your!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dori, I have read your story and I will have you and your family in my prayers. Place God first in your life and you will find that ALL will become easier. No not all your problems will go away, but the load will shift to God and you will find real peace. May God bless you and your lovely family and may peace and joy follow you. Sending you smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Found you through Jillee. Am going to do your mashed potato recipe so I can simplify Thanksgiving meal. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Our son-in-law lost his job end of April. They have 3 young sons. No job yet, but trusting and praying. God bless you and your family. You are an encouragement and inspiration. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was looking for enchilada sauce recipes. The name of your food blog intrigued me so I clicked on the story link, bringing me here. I love your story, how you found a way to pick yourself up by showing gratitude and pursuing your passion. That is inspiring. Thank you for sharing your story, and thanks for the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Dori, you a truly a very brave and inspiring lady. Without that amazing inner strength, you wont be here posting all these wondering posts and sharing your story. I have survived a bad tragic accident, death of my youngest son, a divorce, financial woes, bringing up my two kids etc......life can be tough and depressing but I do not want to be pity by others. I make sure I stay positive and brave because life still goes on, the world still goes round and round. I, too started my blog to keep myself occupied and because I love to be in the kitchen :-) Thank you so much for sharing. You are amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Life is about journeys, not destinations. Heartwarming story. Your journey has made you the exceptional person you are today.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Keep helping ppl. You need to keep telling your story. God can restore all and more than what wasv lost! Happy Thanksgiving to u and your family. Keep persuing your passions.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how you are sharing your life with us. Love the recipes too.
    Someday when I have more time I'll comment more.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dori, thanks for sharing your story. You are very inspiring! I stay home & take care of my disabled husband. It can be challenging, but there are some good days. You remind me to keep pushing forward! Thank you! Couldn't do it without my Jeddy's Blend! Ya'll have a good Thanksgiving!!! Gonna try your tater recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just found you after reading about the crockpot mashed potatoes. You are very inspiring, and I am sure you would never had made it without leaning on God's everlasting arms. My husband and I are living on Social Security in a mobile home owned by our son, who lives next door. We both have health problems, but every time we think we are standing on the edge of a cliff, the Lord brings us back. I wish you a blessed Thanksgiving and Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I feel very inspired to read you Blog. This is my first Thanksgiving alone with just my mother. I feel very blessed to be able to do for her what she has always done for me. It may not be as good as her dinners have always been but it has been fun letting her boss me around. Life is good!! Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your father and I are SO proud of you! Seems that everyone has some bad times when they are getting started. I remember when we only had deer meat (someone gave it to us during the Deer Hunt) to eat for an entire year. We never bought any other meat. Then we decided to go to CA to make our life. It was a good move, but we were more appreciative of what we had then ever before. Most of the time, hardships make us better. Love you, and we are very proud of ALL that you have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good evening!

    I am desperately trying to find your recipe for hot bacon dressing. It is fabulous! I had it saved on Pinterest but they have you blocked and cannot access anything you have posted on there. I need the recipe, my daughters absolute favourite, for birthday dinner tomorrow. I so hope you get this post in time. Thanks for the great recipes.

    A faithful fan,
    Mrs. Holly Clark

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!