Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Oriental Chicken Salad - A league of its own.



Oriental Chicken Salad
In a league of its own

I pulled out my famous recipe to make and send with my husband to work for a pot luck. Made the whole salad the night before and put it in the fridge for him to take to work. He took it to work the next morning but LEFT THE DRESSING! The dressing is what brings this masterpiece together!  I took the dressing to my sisters house hoping he could come pick it up because it is closer to his work. My nieces were also there visiting and they wanted me to make the salad since I had the dressing. They went to get the ingredients and I made the salad again. They went crazy over it! 

I went back today to visit and they asked if I would make it again because we had left over dressing. They said it was so good they just had to have it again so they went back to the store for more ingredients! I made it again and we wiped the bowl clean. IT IS THAT GOOD! I made it three times in two days! The funny part was the guys at work that were suppose to get the original salad loved it anyways with ranch dressing. Everyone was happy.

I have had this recipe for 24 years. It is the best Oriental Chicken Salad recipe that I have ever found. I have tried others to see if there was one better out there but nothing compares to this one. This is easy to make, the flavor is to die for and you will be the hit of the party if you bring this.

Ingredients

Dressing

1 Cup Veg Oil
1/2 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup Rice Vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
2 tsp pepper
1 teaspoon of Sesame Seeds  (optional) I like them in it. 

This makes a lot of dressing but you can use it for other salads or cut the recipe in half. 

Salad

1 bag of coleslaw with green cabbage and carrots
2 Large Chicken Breasts
1 bunch of Green Onions
1 Package of Ramen Noodles (DO NOT use seasoning only noodles)
1 large package or 2 small packages of sliced or slivered almonds
1 package dry roasted sunflower seeds (optional)
2 Tablespoons of Butter (to saute the almonds)

Directions

Mix all the ingredients for the dressing and set aside. Cook and shred chicken breasts. I boil mine until no longer pink in the middle. Saute almonds in butter until lightly browned and set aside. Cook Ramen noodles, drain and cut into smaller pieces. Mix all ingredients together and add dressing (shake up dressing really good before adding). Add a little dressing at a time and mix and then keep adding more until covered nicely but you don't want it drowning in it. This recipe makes a large bowl full. You can double it for a party. 







  


  




 
 You have my promise that this salad is amazing! Try taking it to the next event where you are asked to bring a salad and you will hear people asking who brought the Oriental Chicken Salad because they will want the recipe. Hope you enjoy it! 

Thanks for stopping by!
Dori



18 comments :

  1. What is missing from your list In the dressing? Your picture is dark and mine is just clear with oil and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,

    Did you mix the Rice Vinegar, Salt and Pepper with the Sugar and Oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but my dressing was mostly clear. My rice vinegar is clear. Does that explain the difference? Why is yours brown? (thanks so much for your reply). I want to take this dish to a sick friend.

      Delete
  3. Use the seasoning packet from the Ramon noodles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used the seasoning pack, I am curious now, did you use it and how did it taste?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always add the seasoning pack to the dressing and I dont' cook my Ramen noodles either...I saute them in the butter until toasted. It's a fabulous chewy/crunchy, sweet/tart salad and EVERYONE loves it! I'll have to try it this way too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My recipe is a little different....in mine you break up the ramen noodles and brown them in 1/2 stick of butter along with the almonds and sesame seeds, drain on paper towels and cool before adding to cabbage and green onion mixture.... and my recipe for the dressing calls for 1/2 C. Oil, 1/2 C sugar, 1Tbsp soy sauce and 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (but I think the rice wine vinegar would be just as good). It also allows you to add the seasoning packet from the noodles....have tried it both ways and it seems no matter how you vary this recipe....it is still YUMMY! My family loves it with and without the chicken too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this and it was delicious! The only thing I did different was add craisins and cilantro. Thank you for the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this. It is really yummy! I added some mandarin oranges to it as well. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My variation uses the noodles crunchy and add the seasoning pack to the dressing - I only have used white vinegar will have to try with the rice wine type..... and I add pineapple tidbits! I've never used the chicken.... looking forward to trying this with the chicken added! :-)

    Yummy, now I'm hungry for it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This really looks very appetizing. I always have my salads with either mayo or Greek yogurt so this would be something different. Please keep on sharing such posts because we certainly appreciate it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make this all the time but I don't cook the ramon. I brown the chicken and also use the seasoning mix in the dressing. We wipe the bowl clean. It's that good. I'm going to try your recipe. Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Try a little sesame oil to brown the chicken or almonds and add a little ginger for a sesame ginger flavor! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dori, I'm curious about the color difference too. What kind of sugar and vegetable oil did you use? I can't figure out what in the ingredients would give it a darker color unless you used brown sugar or a colored oil of some sort...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just got stuff to make this for dinner!! Looks delicious. Dori, I can't get from Pinterest where I pinned this to here. It(Pinterest) says they've blocked it because it could be linked to spam, nudity…. Grrrrrr…… Can you contact Pinterest and tell them you're legit??

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have made this before, and like some of the others, I don't cook the ramen noodles - I sautee them. I made the salad just as you directed and followed your recipe (cooking the noodles). It was delicious! A totally different texture than sauteeing the ramen noodles. I am glad I tried it your way - now I have 2 ways of making a super yummy salad. My husband loved it as well! Thanks for sharing. (Oh, I did add the seasoning packet to the dressing. Yum!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm Low-Carbing, so I'll have to sub sweetener and LC Noodles. I'll also have to quarter it (!) 'cause I have a single person household. Sounds like a real good plan tho for the coming summer!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!