Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Homemade Baked Onion Rings



The kids loved these! Even my pickiest eater who won't touch onions. They were gone in minutes and healthier because they were baked and not fried.


Homemade Baked Onion Rings

Ingredients
1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4 inch rings
2 1/4 cups of Buttermilk
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/3 cup of Parmesan
1/4 crushed Ritz crackers or Corn Flakes (I used Ritz)
salt to taste 
olive oil baking spray

Note: You can make this even more low fat by using low fat Buttermilk, Corn Flakes and Whole Wheat bread crumbs. They are already lower in fat by baking them but this makes it just a little bit skinnier.

Directions

Place sliced onions in a shallow dish then pour the buttermilk over the top and then refrigerate for 1-2 hours. 

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.

Combine bread crumbs, Ritz crushed crackers and Parmesan in a large dish and season with salt. Split it in half so you can do two batches which will eliminate clumping and it will stick to the onions better. 
Dip each soaked onion ring into the crumb mixture, coat well. Place rings onto two cookie sheets. Lightly spray the tops with olive oil. Bake about 12 minutes or until golden brown and serve immediately. Check periodically in case your oven runs hot. 

I took a few pictures of the process so you could see how I did it. 






 

Gone but not forgotten. 



These are a great alternative to deep fried onion rings and the kids devoured them. I hope you enjoy this yummy recipe as much as we did. Thanks for stopping by and please help keep Riches to Rags by Dori going by clicking the sponsor ads. Thanks you so much for your support. 
Dori




10 comments :

  1. Thank you for posting this! My 8 yr. old is always begging me to buy her onion rings. Now, I am so excited to make these for her!! And, a lot cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8crazys I know exactly how you feel. I hate to buy my kids anything fried and they LOVED these! Literally gone in minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dori...these look amazing! We are going to try them tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You will love them. Let me know how you like them. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were soooo yummy! My family loved them. We will definitely make these again. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are truly a family favorite! So glad you like them. I bet they didn't last very long huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made these tonight, soo good! Delicious with a sriracha-ranch sauce =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Dori. It loos excellent.I never used onions except frying.I will try it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Might be a dumb question but to be extra sure...White. Onion???

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trying to get the recipe for the Apple Pastry Turnover but the site keeps giving me the recipe for Baked Onion Rings......I think there's a kink somewhere, can you help?
    Thanks Dori.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!