Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori! This is a place where I share my experience with raising teenagers, juggling family and work, essential oils, farm life, chickens, food and more of the things that I love.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Diabetes - My Life Changing Experience




Diabetes - My Life Changing Experience


I have thought a lot about what I was going to share in this post. It is difficult to put a life changing experience into words because it is so important for me that it comes across where it can help others that might be experiencing the same thing. I really hope that you will listen closely to what I am saying and make any personal changes that you feel you need to. I wish I had sooner than later. 

 I LOVE FOOD and always have. I just love to eat. I have always sworn that I have a bigger stomach than the average person and that is what makes me so hungry all the time. :)  


Butter and Salty things are my weakness, fast food, chips and dips, etc. I love to eat out and the portions are huge now at most restaurants. I love pizza, hamburgers, etc. 

I have eaten poorly for a very long time and it caught up with me several years ago and I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. I did have Gestational Diabetes when I was pregnant which make me a higher risk. I really wish at that time I took it seriously, made some drastic changes which is why I am writing this post so if any of you are in the same situation you will sit up and listen. 



I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol and taking medications for both. The combination of Diabetes, HBP, High Cholesterol and being overweight is a deadly combination. I was put on medication for ALL of the above. The medication seemed to control everything for a while. I stopped testing my blood sugar and was eating bad again. My numbers were out of control and medication wasn't helping. I was so busy with life and having a 4th, 5th and 6th grader that I never put myself first. There just wasn't time (so I thought). Stupid.

About a month ago I started to really feel bad. My blood sugar numbers had been out of control for a while and I was waking up with anxiety attacks at night, exhausted all day, my brain was in a constant fog and just felt really awful. I started to get these terrible pains in my feet. It is hard to explain. It was an unbearable burning and numbing at the same time. In the back of my mind I knew what this was but didn't want to face it. Neuropathy in the feet which is another complication of Diabetes and one not to take lightly.  



During this time I took my friends dog for a walk and was holding onto the rope when he bolted to the street and when I tugged it back it gave me a terrible rope burn. Hurt like heck but didn't think much about it. After about a week it opened up into a sore and started to get bigger and bigger and was really painful and would not heal. My blood sugars were still out of control and my husband MADE me go to the doctor. I reluctantly made the appointment but so glad that I did.

This appointment with the doctor was where I had my life changing moment. My doctor explained to me that I had Neuropathy and that this sore that wouldn't heal was because of the Diabetes and this how it starts where people end up losing their limbs.  He has to cut the skin down to the blood supply to try to get it to start healing. My blood pressure was 170/97 and the medication wasn't working anymore. He told me it was time to make some serious changes and then gave me more medication. Ugh.

I decided then and there that my eating habits had to change. Drastically. This time I didn't feel like I was forced to do it and was resentful that I had too, instead I WANTED to and couldn't wait to get started. 




For me I decided at that point to go as much Gluten and Grain free to the best of my knowledge with what I am learning. I have so much to learn.  I am a HUGE Diet Coke drinker and gave that up as well. I won't lie to you the first week was HELL. My body rebelled against me, I was so sick from the extra medication they were giving me and then the major change on my body. I was throwing up and had the worst headache for a week. I didn't know how much longer I could deal with this and knew I never wanted to go through it again. 

I had been taken Victoza in a shot every night. The doctor doubled the dosage and for the next several weeks I had SEVERE anxiety attacks that would wake me up in the middle of the night. I couldn't understand why this was happening. It then dawned on me that the medication was had to be causing them. I got online in the middle of the night and started to research and sure enough people were having the same problem. It was the medication that was causing them. I haven't taken another shot since and haven't had one anxiety attack since then. I couldn't believe how sick that medication was making me feel. 

The only thing that got me through those anxiety attacks were Jeddy's Blend and jogging in place to help speed up my heart. I highly recommend having Jeddy's Blend if you suffer from Anxiety. 



I have started to lose weight, my face has gotten thinner and my stomach has started to go down. I had so much bloating before. It is working and I felt great. 

Two weeks after I started eating better my wound in my hand started to heal and is almost completely closed up. I haven't had any more Neuropathy pain in my feet. My body was giving me a big wake up call and I am grateful for the rope burn I got or I wouldn't have had that sore not heal and really taken this seriously. I am working hard and it is paying off. 

I am now 100% committed to healing with food as I have seen first hand that you really can heal this way. My blood sugar is stable and my blood pressure is down.  I have embraced this new way of eating and feel 1000 times better than I have in years! It is truly amazing how good you can feel when you give your body what it needs. 





KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. I started reading about grains and looking up Gluten Free recipes. There is so much great information out there on the internet and lots of good recipes on Pinterest. 

There are so many great foods out there! When shopping at the grocery store stay on the outside perimeter and away from all the processed foods in the isles. My kids have made some changes with me and my daughter who has gained some extra weight has already lost some of it as well. I am not tired in the day anymore where I feel like I always need a nap. I have lots of energy. If you can go Organic do it. 

I am not calling this a diet because that isn't my goal. My goal is to be healthy and heal from the inside out. By doing this the weight will slowly start to come off as a benefit. 

I believe that it is so important to have goals and ones that are attainable. Post them where you can see them everyday. Make a vision board of the things you want to do when you are healthy that you haven't done before. 


Healthier Foods

Something that has really helped me is to have lots of food in the fridge ready to eat when I get hungry. I have a bunch of BPA free Tupperware that I keep cut up vegetables in, ranch, salad toppings and hard boiled eggs. 

I do have a little dairy with cheese but I don't drink Milk and never really have much. I drink Almond Milk now. Try it in a smoothie with some fruit and raw honey. My kids love it. 



Tuna with a little Mayo (there are some great homemade recipes) with pickles and green onions with a little cheese are my FAVORITE!




I cook a bunch of hard boiled eggs and have them ready when I need a snack. 



These Nut Thin Crackers are AWESOME! They are wheat and gluten free. 


 

I love salads and having everything all ready in Tupperware to put together makes it so easy. 


My favorite breakfast with scrambled eggs, spinach, salsa and little cheese and avocado on the side. 



My motivation is that I want to be around for my kids, I want to be able to do activities with them, sports and hiking.  I want be healthy and teach them to want to be healthy as well. If I am eating fast food my kids will be too. 

They need me and I need them. All I could think about was all the wonderful years ahead and watching them thrive and grow and not being here to see it.  They are 9, 10 and 12 and I am determined to be around a long time. It crushes my heart to even think about not being here to see but that is a reality without this life change. 





My head is clear for the first time in a very long time. If you have followed my blog you will see that I haven't been blogging much for a while. I just couldn't think clearly and long enough to get one done. The fact that I have written this post is amazing and I am excited about many more to come with lots of healthier recipes for you and your family.  I am now offering healthier choices for my kids and sending better lunches with leftovers. It is worth it. I promise. 







There is so much more I want to share on Diabetes which I will do in another post. In this post I am simply sharing my story and what is working for me.  I recommend that you speak with your doctor if you have any health concerns. Anyone can start eating better at any time so you don't have to wait, you can start right now!

I hope if any of you are in the same situation as I was or just want to have a healthier lifestyle, that will do this with me and start a new way of living. If I can do it ANYONE can do it. You are worth it. 


Thanks for stopping by!



Dori


19 comments :

  1. Hi Dori, Thank you so very much for your great article! I'm trying too. I finally got a treadmill and use it 2x day. I'm up to 25 min at a time now. My dr said breaking up my exercise in smaller doses is just fine, and that seems to work quite well for me. I also printed off a chart that I can keep a log of the time, date and weight, BP, blood sugar and activity. I will take that with me at my next dr appt. I'm feeling better too and have lost a little bit of stomach, but I also feel better about myself doing the right thing. Please keep posting the diabetes posts. I think that will really help a lot of us! Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to here that you are trying to do better. The more we can educate and help others we can save generations of having to deal with these same things. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

      Delete
  2. Dori: I can associate with your symptoms I have experience some as well, my sugar levels were getting to the danger point I read about cinnamon helping so found my fav. at Costco and I put 3 big shakes on my unsweetened instant oats every morn. really now prefer this for breakfast over anything. Have made little bags to take with me when I travel and I changed my diet when I became a widow dinner for one was not a 3 course meal. I started sautéing my meat or fish no beef and eat more greens, kale is my new green along with mashed cauliflower I made last week found it wonderful (out potato's purchased that usually went bad anyway.) I buy bread and it will go bad I found some flat bread with only 100 cal I cut one in 1/2 heat it with a bit of olive oil and it can be a sandwich or bread w/meal. Now I am looking at the GMO labels and putting them bk on shelf. I started looking at the sodium content in frozen and canned foods unbelievable . When I used to eat them at work couldn't figure out why my feet were swelling so bad well that was the problem sitting at a desk after consuming that sodium was terrible. I lost about 45 lbs with the change not really thinking about it. No soda unless it is seltzer water no diet drinks just healthier eating.
    I found myself with a 4 legged white dog for the first time ever, walking her about a mile almost every day hs helped too.
    I love your chickens they are beautiful I had NEVER seen any like them I marvel at your pictures when you post those beauties. OH and I am a Jeddy's user along with many of Spark oils what a difference they have made, my statement to those who question oils is God spoke all these plants into being and at that time they were not just decoration but to be used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your post. You have made some great changes and 45 pounds that is awesome! Good for you. Most people just don't know what they are buying and I didn't either so it is my goal to share the knowledge as I learn it.

      Delete
  3. Dori, we LOVE you! We are SOOOOOOOOOO proud of you and the decision you have made to make your life better. It is so wonderful that you are sharing your story with those who may have the same problems. You are our inspiration, and this surely is an answer to our many prayers in your behalf. Thanks for sharing with all those wonderful people.out there who may be having the same kind of problems. May the Lord bless all of them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is my Mom and her and my Dad are two of the most special people on this earth. Love you!

      Delete
  4. If you want to change your diet & want something to track it all for you, try the USDA Myplate.gov Super Tracker. Naturally, it will track calories but it also tracks a bunch of others things like sugars, sodium, vitamins & minerals. I set mine up to track iron and a few other things. Best part, it is free; so if you don't like it, it didn't cost you anything. I really like the site. You can also list family members and keep track of their diets (or guide them to use it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion, I will look into it!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing. I think I am starting down the wrong road, but I am going to try harder to stay on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! We can do it together. You will feel so much better and if you start now instead of waiting until later the damage will be irreversible. One day at a time.

      Delete
    2. Once I started imagining the extra rogue sugar in my blood stream doing all kinds of damage to the tiny blood vessels in my eyes and kidneys then that seemed to turn the corner for me. Also I was ripe for a heart attack. I have too many people to live for. With God's help we'll all keep improving. Chris

      Delete
  6. God bless you and your beautiful family, Dori. I am so glad that your beloved husband pushed you to make that appointment. I will be praying for you all. Hugs and much love!!

    Trixie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this post! I used to visit and try your recipes and they were always so tasty. I too am trying to make healthier choices with my diet. I don't have diabetes, but I do have high blood pressure and arthritis and am hoping and praying that weight loss and a healthier diet will help. I look forward to visiting and getting some of your new, healthy recipes. Thanks for sharing your story.

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness Dori! I am a first timer on your blog but I was looking for personal success stories in google search and your blog showed up. I read about your habits (diet coke) which mine is cherry coke. It is sooo hard to let go of things you love. I can only hope that I did not wait to long! My grandma was just diagnosed with Type II diabetes and in my college studies I have wrote papers about it and decided it was time for a change. If you have not tried it, juicing is a great way to help get in your veggies. I picked up a decent juicer at goodwill for $7 and it works great. Cabbage is the key! You are right knowledge is power. If you look up celery info and cabbage info you will see the benifits these and other water retaining veggies and fruit have and the impact they can have on helping you loose wieght. I have added cabbage in as a regular to my diet now. There are so many ways you can eat it that it is not getting old (so far). Just by putting down the soda and adding in some veggies and lowering my carb intake I lost 4lbs in a week. It is scary what they have in all the processed food. Fresh is the best way to go, and if you feel like you are starving pick up a couple celery sticks! It is super filling! :))) Hope this is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you found any essential oil blends that help with diabetes? Do you have a daily routine that helps keep your sugars steady using oils? I use your Jeddy's Oil on my son. It helps and he doesn't have to use prescription meds daily. I have learned so much from you and your sisters concerning essential oils. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!