Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mouthwatering French Dip Sandwiches and Coleslaw

I remember as a little girl going to the Dodger games regularly with my Dad. We used to stop off at a place called Philippe the Original French Dip Sandwich in Los Angeles. This place has the most amazing French Dip Sandwich and I would look so forward to going there before the games. What great memories I have from that. I can still remember the atmosphere and the smell and my love for the French Dip Sandwich was born. If you are ever in Los Angeles you have to go there.


PHILIPPE - THE ORIGINAL FRENCH DIP SANDWICH







I have tried through the years to make them and never perfected the sandwich to my satisfaction until this year. I am going to share with you my tested and approved Mouthwatering French Dip Sandwich and Coleslaw recipe. 


MOUTHWATERING FRENCH DIP SANDWICH



Here are the items you will need for the sandwiches and the coleslaw. 


French Dip Sandwich items: This recipe makes about 8 sandwiches
  • Deli Rolls - I got the cheapest ones on sale at Smiths $1.89
  • Mozzarella Cheese $2.29
  • 1 pound of Roast Beef from the Deli. I like to buy the more expensive one because it tastes alot better.  Ask them to cut it for French Dip Sandwiches. $10.99
  • Stick of butter 
  • Package of Au Jus .79cents

Coleslaw items: 
  • One bag of Coleslaw $1.89
  • 1/2 cup of green onions cut small
  • 1 Cup of Mayonnaise
  • 2 Tablespoons of Vinegar
  • 4 teaspoons of Sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • Pepper to taste




First thing you want to do is start the Au Jus. Very easy, pour the package in a pan and whisk in 3 cups of COLD water. Put it on medium until it thickens. Stir on and off. 




Put as many deli rolls that will fit on the cookie sheet and cover each one with butter. Stick in the oven on Broil until browned then take out.














They should look something like this 



Start loading up the roast beef. Don't skimp.

Add some salt on top of the Roast Beef


 Slice the Mozzarella Cheese and cover the Roast Beef.  Again, Don't skimp! You will thank me later. 




Put them back under the broiler until the cheese melts and is a little brown. Sprinkle some pepper on top.




Is your mouth watering yet?  Yummy.  Pour some of the Au Jus that is now ready onto a plate and dip the top piece in the Au Jus. Don't soak it Just one good dip. 


Cover the top and and serve with the homemade Coleslaw and a small dish with warm Au Jus. When you take that first bite after dipping it in the Au Jus you will see why you don't want to skimp. You will have some happy eaters. 







COLESLAW RECIPE

Coleslaw items: 
  • One bag of Coleslaw
  • 1/2 cup of green onions cut small
  • 1 Cup of Mayonnaise
  • 2 Tablespoons of Vinegar
  • 4 teaspoons of Sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • Pepper to taste



Mix Mayo, Vinegar, Sugar, Salt and Pepper in a bowl. Add green onions to the coleslaw. Mix the sauce in and toss until all is covered. It is best if it has been in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight. You can eat it right away if you want to but is really good if you do it earlier. 



This Coleslaw has a great flavor.  (Bowls in the picture are matching set from the Thrift Store) Just thought I would add that little tid bit. 


More baby jars? Yep, I used this one to fill up with Au Jus and send a French Dip Sandwich to work with my husband for his dinner. I just can't get enough uses for those little jars. 





TODAY'S THRIFT STORE MAJOR FIND!!!!! WOO HOO!

Went to the thrift store today and found this awesome mixer in perfect condition. What a great find. Once again got a great find because I was one of the first ones there in the morning. Mine blew up two months ago and I needed one. $15!!!! 

Sunbeam Mixmaster Heritage Series with the attachments a smaller bowl and the book. 

















Guess what I made for dessert with my new mixer???????? :)



Thanks for stopping by. I love blogging so please help me keep this page going by clicking on the Sponsors and I would love for you to like my facebook page too. I appreciate all of those who are sharing with your family and friends. Don't forget Pinterest, but BEWARE.....it is addicting! :) Thanks again. 

Dori

*DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF CHEAP*


















1 comment :

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!