Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Loaded Skillet Potatoes!






Loaded Skillet Potatoes


One thing I love about potatoes is that you can buy a big bag for about $2.00. I use potatoes quite often for that reason alone. They are cheap, they are filling and they are delicious. There are so many great recipes you can make with potatoes. 

Yesterday, I got creative and created the Loaded Skillet Potatoes.  Everyone in the family gobbled them down. I did have to eliminate the onions for one of the kids though. Topped it with green onions and ranch, it tasted like the best baked potato ever. Very filling and makes quite a bit. 

Leftovers could be used for breakfast the next morning with eggs. I took my leftovers for lunch.




Ingredients

2-3 Large Chicken Breasts cubed
1 small yellow onion (chopped)
5 Potatoes
1 lb of Bacon
3-4 cups of shredded Monterrey and Jack Cheese
 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
4 T. of Butter

Toppings
Chopped green onions
Ranch Dressing

Directions

Cook your bacon. I cooked mine in the oven so I could work on other things. Let it get crispy but not to burned. Save your bacon grease. When done set aside. Wash your potatoes well. You can either microwave them, bake them or boil them. I microwaved 5 medium potatoes for about 15 minutes. When they were soft I put them in the freezer to cool down.  Cut up your chicken and season. To cook the chicken use about 3 T of bacon oil and heat well. Saute the onions and then remove them. Add another Tablespoon of bacon grease if needed and cook the chicken when the oil is hot. Let the chicken start to brown, let it cook until both sides until they are nice and brown. Add in the onions and crumbled bacon with the heavy cream . Season with a little salt and pepper and mix well.  When the potatoes have cooled in the freezer take them out and peel the outside off with a fork or knife. It will come off really easy. Crumble potatoes and add to the skillet. Mix with the chicken and bacon then add the cheese on top. Put the skillet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Scoop onto a plate and serve with a salad and top with green onions and ranch dressing.



















Check back in the next couple of days for some exciting announcements!

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments :

  1. I have never commented on a recipe before, but I just had to tell you how much my hubby and I enjoyed this! I did make a few additions I wanted to share. When sautéing the onions, I added three cloves of minced garlic and a couple of handfuls of sliced baby portabello mushrooms. I used red potatoes and cooked them in the microwave as you suggested. I was having a hard time peeling them, so instead I just crushed them all up, peel and all! I also added some terragon and rosemary along with salt and pepper. It was so sinfully delicious, and you were right...don't scrimp on the cream! I also wanted to thank you for the suggestion of cooking the bacon in the oven. I've never been good with cooking bacon, but the oven method is foolproof. Thanks again for sharing such a delicious recipe. Its rich goodness makes the calories so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was delicious! I am definitely saving this recipe and using it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try this tomorrow. It sounds wonderful. I too am a potato girl! I am really glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made this and it's amazing

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!