Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Flameless Baby Food Jar Luminaries

I have a thing about jars. I love them. I keep collecting them and I can't get rid of them. I love all sizes, shapes, colors but even more I love to put candles in them and have that calm serenity feeling that comes from watching them. After a long day I look forward to the time when the kids are asleep and the fireplace is set. That is MY time. When I go to bed I love to have luminaries in my room to watch as I try to fall asleep. It puts you in such a relaxing state. Try it!

I wanted to have something that I could put in the kids room so they could enjoy the same feeling but didn't want any kind of flame for obvious reasons.  I love the person that created FLAMELESS CANDLES. It was brillant! Why didn't I think of that? They really look as if a real candle is burning and flickers the light just like a candle.


Think of the possibilities with all the baby jars out there and all the different kinds of tissue paper!






This is what they look like with the lights off. So beautiful and you can see the patterns. LOVE IT!



What a fun and easy project. Here are the items that you will need. Hope you don't mind all the pictures. I am a visual person and need all the pictures I can get. You can count on lots of pictures on my blog!


 FLAMELESS BABY FOOD JAR LUMINARIES
















Here are the few items that you will need. Very easy and inexpensive.
  1. Mod Podge. I love this stuff. 
  2. Baby food jars
  3. Tissue paper
  4. Flameless candles
  5. Paintbrush
  6. Twine


 Start saving those baby jars or ask a friend to give you theirs if they throw them away.

Pick some tissue paper designs up at the dollar store, thrift store, etc. The possibilities are endless! Cut out a template of 7 1/2 inches by 3 3/4 inches. 
                                                        

 Start brushing the Mod Podge around the baby jar. Don't forget the bottom.






Now put the baby jar at the edge of the paper and try to keep the paper as wrinkle free as you can on the main body. The top and bottom can be wrinkled because you wont see it. You can move it around a little bit if you get wrinkles. Press each part around the jar until in covers.






Cut off any excess paper.


For the bottom just fold the pieces over, you won't see this part.














Take the brush and go over the jar with the Mod Podge again. Get the bottom real good. 



  You can either let it dry overnight or be very impatient like I am and dry it with the blow dryer.
It dries really fast with the dryer. The glue will dry clearer.



After it is dry put Mod Podge or a hot glue gun to wrap twine around the top. I started at the bottom part and wrapped it around until it was covered. Then cut an additional piece and glue it on. I couldn't find my glue gun so I used the Mod Podge and when it dried it was on there good.



















Now the fun part!



Now we get to put those pretty little lights in and watch the magic. You can buy these basically anywhere now. I got these at Family Dollar. There is a little switch on the bottom so when the kids go to sleep I go in and turn them off.








Doesn't that just make you feel warm and fuzzy inside? You can put these anywhere. These three are going in my girls room and you can bet there will be more ALL OVER THE HOUSE! These are way better night lights than the ones in the wall. I hope you like these little darlings because I sure do.

*NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF CHEAP*





2 comments :

  1. I am going to make these for a bridal shower favor. Thanks for such detailed directions and the photos. Very easy to understand :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!