Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake



Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake

Forgive me, I can't help it, I had to post it.  I just saw it (Darn you Pinterest, we have a love hate relationship) I'm hungry and it looks so good! Found this at Alexandra Cooks. She has a great list of recipe. Check out her site, beautiful photography.

How could I deny that beautiful piece of cake.  If I only have Blueberries right now it would be in my oven. You can bet that I will tomorrow though. 


Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake

Serves 6-8
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature

2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk

* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons

** This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
4. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick to see if it is done.  If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.


I know I know, I shouldn't be posting things like this so late at night when a snack like that looks so good. I will try to have some control next time but for now I must have it.

Thanks for stopping by!
Dori



9 comments :

  1. this looks YUM-MEE can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this batter, but wasn't sure what type flour. Self rising or all purpose? This batter was very thick with two cups of flour and only half cup of buttermilk, so I had to add more buttermilk or I wouldn't be able to mix in blueberries. So I had to add more sugar and vanilla too. In oven currently so will see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was wondering how anonymous recipe turned out....getting ready to make.

      Delete
  3. Make the dish today and mine turned out great!!! Was not dry at all and did not last very long!! Gone in a flash! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made this exactly how the directions say. The batter is very thick and you have to fold the blueberries in carefully, but it turns out AMAZING. It's SO good! It's totally my go-to for blueberry muffins, bread, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baking it right now, substituted honey for sugar. Can't wait to see how it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy....tried to sign up for your blog...hope it went thru :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Followed recipe exactly. Looks great, smells great but tastes like baking soda and salt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the second time I make this...so worth every last crumb!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!