Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Salted Caramel Bars




Salted Caramel Bars

Beware-These may be addictive!

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Found these on What's Gaby Cooking  and the picture immediately got my attention. When that happens I just have to share. 

 I love caramel and I love salt so putting them together can't get any better. There is the added bonus of shortening on the bottom. Oh boy....

I have had several meal type recipes on lately and felt that we needed a good "Saturday Sweet Treat" today so I hope you enjoy them. I will me making these tonight with my girls in celebration of St. Patrick's Day, we are O'Dell's so it is an important day! Go Irish!





Salted Caramel Bars
Ingredients
10 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg yolk, whisked
1 2/3 cups AP flour
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
12 tbsp light corn syrup
2 tsp sea salt
4 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Sea salt flakes
Instructions
1.      Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9-by-9-inch pan with parchment paper with the edges of the parchment hanging over the sides. This will make removing the bars easier.
2.      In a large bowl combine the butter, sugar and salt with a fork. Add the yolk and combine with the fork. Add the flour and using your hands, combine the dough until its flaky. Transfer the dough into the parchment lined pan and press down with your hands or the bottom of a measuring cup. Refrigerate this for 30 minutes. Once chilled, bake for 25 minutes until lightly browned.
3.      Once baked, remove and set aside to cool.
4.      Meanwhile, in a pot combine the topping ingredients; butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, salt, sugar and cream. Bring to a boil and make sure all the sugar is dissolved. Stir for about 5-10 minutes until its thick and bubbly. If you have a candy thermometer – the caramel should be about 230 degrees. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and pour on top of the shortbread.
5.      Refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Then sprinkle with the sea salt flakes and serve!

 


I hope you enjoys these delicious looking treats and that you have a wonderful day celebrating St. Patrick's Day. Thanks as always for stopping by and supporting
 Riches to Rags by Dori. 
 Dori







1 comment :

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!