Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hot Bacon Dressing.....*Sigh*


Hot Bacon Dressing
(The name says it all)

I have a serious love for Hot Bacon Dressing. It brings back so many good memories of growing up. My family used to go out for a meal (all eight of us) at Marie Callender's about twice a month. We would sit at the same table by the fireplace and I always got the salad bar and loaded that puppy up. The last thing was their delicious Hot Bacon Dressing, it was to die for.  I was so full every time we left but always had room for an ice cream at 31 flavors. Good memories and fun times. 

We ended up moving and Marie Callender's got new management and the dressing went away. Lot's of unhappy customers (especially me) and with all the changes it was never the same. So, I was beyond myself with excitement when I ran across this recipe. Finally, I can have my favorite dressing again. If you haven't tried it before you are in for a treat. 

Spinach salad or whatever you like on your salad is all you need. I used to put blue cheese (clink on link for world greatest blue cheese recipe) on the salad and then the Hot Bacon Dressing. *Sigh* Life is good. 







I personally would add chopped red onions to the Ingredients. 


Hot Bacon Dressing

Ingredients

  • 8 slices bacon
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar

Directions

  1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt, and slowly pour in water and vinegar, whisking constantly.
  3. In a medium skillet, add the crumbled bacon and pour the vinegar mixture over it. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.

Whether you are a Hot Bacon Dressing lover from Marie Callender's or a beginner who has never tried it, I hope this makes you as happy as it has made me. I promise, you will love it! Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday. 

Thanks for stopping by!

 Dori



4 comments :

  1. Is this something I could make and then bottle in the fridge for later? Maybe nuke or stove top to rewarm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You-Thank You-Thank You Dori.. I have been looking for this hot bacon dressing forever.. When Marie Callenders stopped serving it I stopped going there..when I found this recipe it made me very happy and it is so simple to make..so Thank You again. Sigh..yes Life is Good :-) RO from Oceanside, Ca.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to make this tonight! I hope it tastes teh same as I remember from when I was a kid in CA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just thought of this today. It was my favorite dressing ever when I lived in CA. I used to buy it and take it home. Moved to Minnesota 20 years ago and the one Marie Callendar's that was here closed a few years later. Missed that dressing so much. Going to make this tonight.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!