Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Thrift Store DIY Yourself Decoration Ideas!

Hello everyone! Glad to be back to blogging. I hope you all had a wonderful Holiday and lots of great times.

Today I have a few DIY decoration ideas with some items I got at the Thrift Store. I spent $12 on all three total.



If I can do this anyone can. I really mean that! It is so simple to take something from a thrift store and turn it into a piece of art or just something to make an area look better. Today I want to show you a window pane, a plain white shelf and a not so pretty wreath. One mans trash is another mans treasure!

Let's start with THE WINDOW PANE......

Very simple right? It's dirty, nothing special and what could you possibly do with this plain ol window pain?
You would probably walk right past this right? There are some really cute things you can do with this. I bought this special piece for $8!


This is the style that I plan on using for my window. The more antiqued the better. I am going to lightly sand it and give it a nice antique look and put pictures of my family in it. It is a smaller window pane but there are many out there in lots of different sizes. Oh the possibilities!!!!



A few other cute ideas you could do with different sized windows.


Cute idea comes from http://www.johnnyinadress.com/






I am on the look out for windows to make this! I love it!



See how just a few cute ideas can turn something so simple into to something amazing? Use your imagination or someone elses! It is so much cheaper and rewarding when you do it yourself. You get a sense of accomplishment when you're done.



Now on to the PLAIN WHITE SHELF......



I bought this plain shelf for $3.00 at the thrift store. Nothing special and very plain. If you saw this would you pick it up? All I did was have my son screw a few screws in it (I could have done it but he was eager to help) and Voila! Now it is a little prettier.





I really needed a shelf above the sink where there was a bare wall to put a few things on so they weren't sitting on the sink. I bought this shelf for that.




Within a few minutes I now had a cute little shelf that added so much more to the sink area than a bare wall and it only cost $3.00.Wow, I think I need to add some color to my walls!


I love it! I might add some paint to it as well. SO SIMPLE AND SO CHEAP!


Here are some other cute ideas for a PLAIN WHITE (or any color) SHELF....


Add a piece of wood and some small hooks.




 


See? It really is that simple, find your style!





Last but not least the NOT SO PRETTY WREATH.....



I saw this on the Thrift Store wall for months and then it hit me (I actually felt sorry for it that no one wanted it) that I could save it and make it pretty!  I bought it for .50 cents along with another lost and unwanted wreath.


I took it home and took all the goodies off so it was just a plain grapevine wreath. Then with the wonderful world of the Internet and pinterest of course I found some really great ideas to make these wreaths useful again. 

SO SIMPLE! Yet so adorable.






Cute idea.

All these wreaths are grapevine with something added to them with wire or hot glue gun.
 We can make these ourselves without spending a fortune!


It is a blank canvas ready for the masterpiece to begin....



What would you do with these? Please share! Would love to see anything you have created.

*NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF CHEAP*

12 comments :

  1. How do you get the pics to stick to glass ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do u get pics to stick to glass?? Sunsetgerman@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love a tip on getting the pictures to stay in the glass please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked with a few websites on glue for photo's and if you are going to have the picture behind glass the recommendation is the use clear double sided tape in the corners. If you are doing it on the front which I imagine you aren't you can use any glue stick. Let me know how the double sided tape works for you. Thanks Stephanie.

      Delete
  4. I have made a beautiful picture frame out of an old window, and I cut a picture frame mat to fit, and then put in the pictures. It added some great dimension, and I was able to secure the pictures in without taping on the glass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a project like this for a wedding decoration using engagement photos that I'd taken of the couple. I cut the pictures to the size of the window pane opening then used mod-podge to secure it to the glass (from the back so the glass is in front of the image). Just be careful to use the mod-podge SPARINGLY b/c if you use too much it goops up and leaves a white mess behind. We worked out as much of the mod-podge as possible (on the first picture we tried it on) and actually like the aged look it gave to the sepia picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clear photo splits (used for scrapbooking) work great to put the photos behing the window panes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is clear double sided re-positional tape that you can find at craft stores. It won't ruin your photos and you can make it interchangeable. (the tape will come off your photos.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those wreaths are beautiful, the perfect representation of the Winter seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I put lights onto a grapevine wreath and use it as the light for my front porch. Great year round decorations.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!