Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Apple Pastry Turnovers - So Easy





Apple Pastry Turnovers


I have a thing for Apple Turnovers, I really love them. I rarely eat them because there isn't a bakery around where I can get a decent one. I haven't had one for a while since moving to Wyoming and recently I have been craving them!

I have been on a mission to make at them at home. I never have found a recipe so I created one. It was so simple I couldn't believe it. I don't do homemade pastry very well. My sisters are gifted with that talent (I guess I am just to impatient), I just haven't perfected it YET. Someday I will become the Master but, until then I am grateful for Puff Pastry Sheets. They turned out delicious. My kids came home from school and devoured them. 




Ingredients

2 packages of Pastry Sheets
6 Green Granny Smith Apples, peeled and thinly sliced.
3/4 cup of sugar
2 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Milk for brushing tops before cooking
Sugar in the Raw

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

1. Thaw out the Puff Pastry. You are going to cut them so don't worry about breaking it at the crease when you finally open it up to cut into six pieces. 
2. Peel and thinly slice apples. I keep the apples in water until I am ready to mix so they don't turn brown. Dry them off before mixing. 
3. Mix together in bowl the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add apple slices and gently toss until coated.
4. Put a spoonful of coated apple slices on one of the squares on the left side but leave a little bit open on the edge. 
5. Fold over and use a fork the seal the edges and put on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. I fit about 8 on my sheet.
6. This part is important so don't skip it. Before putting in the oven brush the tops with milk and then sprinkle a good amount that will stick of sugar in the raw. This adds so much flavor when they are done. 
7. Bake around 10 minutes but keep an eye on them. Each oven is different so keep checking. When they are nice and brown and bubbly inside you will know they are done. 
8. Take out and let cool for a couple of minutes, put on plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.














So simple and so delicious, even though it rained it's still a good day in Wyoming when you have warm Apple Pastry Turnovers. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Dori

4 comments :

  1. Hey Dori-I can't wait to try this recipe out! I am so excited! I actually live in wyoming as well and feel your pain at craving something and not being able to get it! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if you like Apple Fritters but Targets are even better than our local bakeries. My hubby is addicted to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mine didn't turn out as fluffy as yours :( it was really hot in my house and my oven stopped working half way through so that might have something to do with it lol

    I will try another time!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. another "must try"! Thanks for sharing. Love this blog!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!