Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Easy Scones with Butter and Powdered Sugar


A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.  ~Joseph Campbell


Happy Memorial Day 2012


UPDATE!  I have received several comments that these are NOT Scones. To me they are the only Scones that I know. I grew up only knowing them as Scones, on the Terrel's website below, they call them Utah Fried Scones. One the Rhodes Rolls website they call them Scones/Fried Dough/Elephant Ears. Growing up in California we called them Scones. I am in no way trying to pass something off that isn't what it is this is all I know. Must be a west coast thing or. Either way they are delicious and that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :) Hope you enjoy them!


I hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day today. I just wanted to say how grateful I am for the men and women who serve for our freedom every day. It is not easy being a soldier or a soldiers wife, I know because my husband was a soldier for 13 years. Thank you for the service you give to our great country. 



Scones with Butter and Powdered Sugar


These delicious scones are super easy to make and they are DELICIOUS! We save these for special occasions because they are one of our kids favorite treats in the whole world. They appreciate them more when they get them on holidays. They requested them today and I was happy to oblige. 


The only ingredients to this are the rolls, oil, butter, honey and powdered sugar! These Terrel's County Roll/Scones are available in 9 states right now. I don't see why you couldn't use Rhodes rolls as the same thing. These are really good if you can get them. They are in the roll freezer section. Highly recommend them!


A while back when I was working in Utah we had a fundraiser and a friend of mine knows the owner of Terrel's who donated several bags for us to make scones. I have been hooked ever since. 



INGREDIENTS
12 Terrel's Country Bakery Rolls thawed and risen
vegetable oil
powered sugar
butter
jam or honey if desired

DIRECTIONS
Pour oil 2 to 3-inches deep into a small sauce pan or an electric frying pan and heat to medium high setting or 375°F. Flatten each roll into a 5-inch circle. Mine are always square.  Fry dough on each side until golden brown (about 15 seconds each side). Remove and drain on paper towel. Serve hot.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar or serve with butter, honey or jam if desired.





















anitque clipart with God Bless America

These really are super good! If you do try to make them with Rhodes Frozen Rolls because you can't buy Terrel's will you please let me know how the turn out? I would love to know and update the blog. Thank you for all your support!

Thanks for stopping by!
Dori


17 comments :

  1. less scone, more beignet to me... haven't tried it yet but I've had scones, and beignets (being from Louisiana but an anglophile who loves English scones too) and this looks more like a quick beignet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For us from Utah it is scone! Period

      Delete
  2. It may be scone dough you are using, but this is certainly not prepared like a scone. This is just fried dough...and similar to a beinet. A scone is a far different item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to agree with the other commenters. A scone is more of a biscuit-like consistency and is baked, whereas this is a yeast-dough consistency, similar to a donut or fried flatbread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter what the name, these look delicious!!! An English scone is an American biscuit, so unless you go to the British Isles you are eating a biscuit! Love all these food police who try to name regional recipes by their standards! Enough ranting, I will definitely be making this. Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in Idaho calling these "scones," and it came as a not-entirely pleasant surprise when I discovered in college what a proper scone was! Gimme fried bread any day! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with your post, being an Idaho-raised girl myself. These are scones to me. And once while visiting Washington DC I ordered a pumpkin scone from starbucks and was completely disappointed. These will ALWAYS be "scones" in my house, even though my little family now lives in the South.

      Delete
  6. This is like Indian fry bread here. They take one of those and top it with meat, lettuce, tomato and cheese and then it's an Indian taco. Or, just eat it with butter and honey. My experience with scones is they are more like a biscuit. A former acquaintance from Australia with "knowledge and experience" about scones made them with Bisquick, what we would call drop biscuits here in Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scones as I know them from Ind and Tn are more like a pie shape biscuit. From the pictures that are shown, your scones make me think of the elephant ears we use to get at the fairs only much bigger and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look yummy but I agree they are more akin to an Indian fry bread. Scones are more like a dry and dense biscuit and are never fried- they are baked. Your fry bread looks delish though! Reminds me of yummy summer fair food.

    KK

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the midwest, they're known as Elephant Ears. They are super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In South Carolina we call them elephant ears....you can usually find them at the fair. And I have a cousin named Dori from Cali...what a co-inky-dinky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here in New Mexico we would call them sopapillas or Indian fry bread! If you put just honey and powdered sugar great dessert or you can add hamburger meat, beans, chili on top for a Indian taco!! That's what us New Mexicans so! Sopapillas are typically eaten wi dinner as your bread not dessert!! It's so neat to see all the different ideas!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm from New England and here we call them "dough boys". The local carnivals and festivals in this area call them fried dough but the local name for them is dough boys. And I agree - they are absolutely delicious - I sometimes make them with whole wheat dough instead of regular dough to make it a tad bit healthier and they are just as yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should try these with Cane's syrup from Louisiana. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I worked at a sandwich shop in California in the 1970's and we used these as bread. We made both "sconewiches' and dessert scones with them. They were made just like pita pockets. The dessert scones had bananas and whipped cream with a little chocolate drizzle or strawberries and whipped cream. The sconewiches were just that: cut as pocket bread with lettuce lunchment tomato and cheese with lightly spread mayo and mustard on each side of the inside of the scone. My Grandmother was a cook from Scotland and her scones were baked, never fried. Just the same name for different bread items but delicious either way.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!