Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

TIP: Freezing Cheese - Good Advice


Picture and Source from Simple Organized Living


TIP: How to Freeze Cheese

Once upon a time I bought several blocks of cheese that were on sale. I put them in the freezer, took it out when I was ready to use and let it thaw out. I went to shred it and it crumbled. I was very sad. I have never frozen cheese since. I have always thought you couldn't freeze cheese. Well, I was mistaken. Apparently you can as long as you slice it or shred the cheese first! This is very very good news! I really had no idea you could do that!

You have to check out this website called Simple Organized Living. It has some other great tips for freezing food that I had no idea about such as freezing Baked Goods, Baking Supplies, Dairy,  Herbs and Vegetables and more. I will now be following that blog because there is some really great information. 

Hope you learned something with this, I know I sure did!
 Did you know this or am I the only one? Do you have any other great freezing tips you would like to share with the rest of us???? I would love to hear them!

Thanks for stopping by!
Dori

5 comments :

  1. Same thing occurred to me.. glad you shared this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH!!! I wish I would have seen this 3 days ago...I froze my cheese in the blocks :( DRAT!!! oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have frozen blocks of cheese before without any real problems. I think it is better to shred/slice it first because it's much easier to use without waiting for it to defrost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read somewhere you can freeze cheese in a block. To thaw it you let it sit on the counter until it's totally thawed, put it in the fridge and shred as you would normally. I did this and I could shred my cheese as if it were fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One Good Thing posted a while back some tips on freezing too. You should go check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!