Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

BBQ Korean Beef - Adapted from Korean Bulgogi



Welcome back to Wyoming. We are back from our mini vacation during Spring Break and today was another amazing sunny warm day. We had an Easter Egg hunt in the park and the we came home to cook up some down right awesome Korean food. The taste in this BBQ Korean Beef is amazing and was a huge hit tonight with all the kids.  I can't tell you enough how delicious the marinade in this meat is and served on top of hot rice with some green onions and sesame seeds makes it perfect. When the whole family eats it then I know I have found something good.

My beautiful daughter Kallie is half Korean and I try to find recipes to make every once in a while to celebrate that part of her heritage. She is my picky eater and loved this! While I was looking for a good Korean recipe I came across this at Savory Sweet Life and after I looked at the ingredients I knew it was going to be a winner and it was. 

I have done a step by step picture tutorial of my meal preparation. Enjoy!



This is her taking a bite :)

BBQ Korean Beef - Adapted from Korean Bulgogi

An easy recipe for Korean Barbecue Beef.
Ingredients
o    1-1.5 lbs. of thinly sliced rib-eye steak purchased from a Korean market. Or you can slice your own rib-eye or sirloin steak across the grain in paper thin slices. Partially freezing the beef helps with cutting clean slices.
o    1/3 cup of soy sauce or for a Gluten-Free variation, use San-J Organic Tamari Wheat Free Soy Sauce found in the health food section of your local grocery store.
o    3 T white sugar
o    1 T sesame oil
o    3 cloves of garlic, minced
o    1/4 of a medium yellow onion, halved and sliced into medium moon shaped slivers
o    2 green onions including the white parts, finely sliced into small pieces
o    2 T toasted sesame seeds
o    1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
o    2 pinches of black pepper
o    optional 1/4 tsp. of ginger, finely minced

Instructions
    Whisk all the ingredients together in a medium bowl except beef and onions. When most of the sugar has dissolved, add beef and onion slices to the bowl and massage the marinade with your hands into each slice of beef. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. To pan fry, place a few slices of beef in single layers and completely flat on a hot oiled frying pan and fry each side until cooked. Took me two batches. Some people prefer to cook the bulgogi until some of the edges have turned dark brown and crispy. I like mine browned and the onions browned as well. Serve with a bowl of hot rice. Enjoy!

Make your marinade and slice your beef. 
Cut up your onions.
Put onions on top of thinly sliced meat.
After sugar has dissolved in marinade pour over onions and meat. 
Massage marinade into each piece of meat and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Heat up a skillet with Sesame Oil until very hot and put single layer on. 
Keep cooking, it will soak up all the juice and start to brown. 
Your kitchen will start to smell like a Chinese Restaurant. 
See how it is starting to brown? 
Hot rice


Serve it over hot rice, I like to add a few fresh Sesame Seeds on top and fresh cut green onions. A little soy sauce couldn't hurt either. 

This is not hard to make, it really is easy. You will so happy with the results and you will want to make it again and again.


Thanks for stopping by and letting me share my family dinner with you tonight. You will not be disappointed. I would love to hear if you make it. 
Dori

7 comments :

  1. Looks amazing! Im new to blogging as well! Not sure why i never started years ago, but it has def become a passion of mine! I enjoyed looking through your blog! love that im finding others that LOVE cooking!! looking forward to trying some of your ideas!!
    -Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this amazing post. i have also a same blog but i have get lots of ideas and knowledge form your post. keep it up.Again thanks for sharing. Visit My blog post:-rankreviewzone

      Delete
  2. Sounds good to me. Kallie looks happy. She has come into her own, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is one happy little girl who loves life and I love her so much. She is pretty fond of her Grandma as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Savvy Sisters. Isn't blogging wonderful,I love love love it. Thanks for the comments, I will check out your blog as well. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son is Korean (and adopted by us as an infant) and after visiting Korea this summer, I came home and made Bulgogi, which was one food I really loved there. My son and hubby aren't as picky and they enjoyed many more foods. This is one dish that the whole family will eat with a few variations to suit their tastes. My recipe differs very little from yours, but as a shortcut I have found that the shaved beef from the grocery store is wonderful and doesn't get tough as my steak slices sometimes would. Also, we loved it served with rice noodles, found in the asian section of the grocery store. I soak them in water for about 10-15 mins, until pliable, then I drain and blot dry. After the meat is almost cooked, I add the noodles and continue to stir fry. This dish is great wrapped in fresh lettuce or romaine leaves. My men like to put Korean hot sauce on theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My oldest daughter is half Korean that we adopted here in the states. I want so badly to visit Korea with her so she can see where part of her heritage is from. Was it difficult to adopt from Korea?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!