Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Easy French Onion Soup

Picture by Heather Christo
 
French Onion Soup
 
    The last few days here have been snowing and incredibly cold. The snow has stop but it is colder than ever. I have decided I DO NOT LIKE DRIVING on the freeway in the icy snow storms of Wyoming.
 
Driving down the freeway I am like a Granny with white knuckles driving 40 miles an hour while the stupid Trucks are passing me at 75. They make me so mad and scare me! Call me a baby, I admit it, the ice terrifies me. Any water that was melted is now sheets of ice everywhere. Instead of being outside I would much rather be inside by the fireplace with a nice bowl of hot soup.

You never know what you are going to get when I  am hungry and searching for a recipe to blog. Tonight I am very hungry for some reason. I think when it is cold outside I get extra hungry (I have to justify somehow!). It is only -10 with the wind chill right now in Wyoming. Brrrr.  So, with that being said I was drawn to an easy and delicious French Onion Soup!

 
I have looked and looked for a good recipe but they didn't have the right ingredients and they were to much work. If you don't like to cook with wine I am sure you can eliminate it and it will be fine. I am pretty sure that the alcohol cooks out of it when cooking. Correct me if I am wrong. I found this recipe on Heather Christo Cooks. I love the easy recipe. 

 
Click HERE for the Recipe.


 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Dori
 

2 comments :

  1. I know what you mean about being hungry when it's cold outside! There's a reason they call it "comfort food"!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dori! You are absolutely correct that the alcohol in the wine cooks off leaving the concentrated taste of the wine. That being said, there are only VERY few wines that I can tolerate. I like my wine sweet and most of it is not so I don't cook with it because it really does concentrate that bitter sharp flavor of the wine. You could probably skip it altogether but if you feel like there is not enough liquid in your recipe, you can always replace it with more beef broth, or vegetable broth if you prefer. Nine times out of 10, I replace wine in my recipes with broth and have never had a problem. Have a great day and stay warm up there. I do NOT miss Colorado and Wyoming winter driving at all! You are so right, those truck drivers are CRAZY!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!